Hugh Hansen's
One Thing After Another Blog

IP, Con Law and Other Things

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Joseph M. McLaughlin:  Professor, Legal Author, Dean, Judge

Joseph McLaughlin died on August 8th. He was truly a remarkable man. “Larger than life” describes him personally, and also his impact on Fordham Law School and on many people, including me.

I would not be at Fordham if it weren’t for Joe (but please don’t hold that against him.)  He began hiring non-Fordham Law graduates on a regular basis for the first time.  While I was an AUSA in the Southern District, he called and asked me to leave that position and come to Fordham because he had an opening that he wanted me to fill.  He offered to get me out of my three-year commitment to the Office, but I did not want to get out of it and politely declined his offer.  Yet as fate would have it, just months after that call, a family situation required that I have more flexibility in my schedule and I asked him if I could come as a visitor for a year.  I have been here ever since. 

Joe had a remarkable personal and public presence, really more so than anyone else I have known.  Some of this was the result of a towering self-confidence, also more than anyone else I have known.  This undoubtedly resulted in part from, and was certainly justified by his outstanding achievements as a student, professor, legal author, dean and judge. 

Joe was dean during my first two years at Fordham.  He was very approachable and had an open mind on new ideas.  He also looked after me as a junior academic, volunteering advice on various aspects of academic life. 

Most importantly in my view, Joe as dean was instrumental in the transition between the old and the new at Fordham.  He had the vision that change was needed but also recognized that there was a lot of good in the old as well.  He had the leadership skills and respect that allowed him to make changes that the old guard would not have accepted from anyone else, and to hold onto things without objection from a new guard who would have liked to see them changed.  His ten years as dean prepared the way and made possible Fordham’s move to where it is today.

There are and will be many more testimonials to Joe.  They will go into more detail and be made by those who knew Joe much better than I did. They will also detail his impact outside of Fordham.   As far as Fordham goes, I think everyone would agree with Dean Feerick that “Judge McLaughlin has deservedly earned a place in the pantheon of Fordham Law greats. His influence on the Law School was as big as his personality. Fordham Law has lost a magnificent friend and alumnus.”  They would also agree with Dean Michael Martin that “Judge McLaughlin’s impact on the history of Fordham Law cannot be overstated. A passionate teacher, a confident and clear-sighted leader of the Law School, and of course an astute judge—he played so many roles in the legal profession, and he worked with such vivacity and joy. He will be missed by the entire Fordham Law community.”

People like Joe do not come around very often.  One more reason why he will be missed.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

© Hugh C. Hansen. Powered by Blogger.
Subscribe to RSS Feed Follow me on Twitter!